Pirkei Avot Playlist

This is my Pirkei Avot playlist. In this project, I had to pick 5 Pirkei Avot verses from chapter 2 and connect songs to each verse I chose. These are my verses and the songs I chose.

I chose the verses 3, 6, 8, 11, and 12

Verse #3

Verse number 3 talks about being greedy and selfish and doing things only for your own good. “Be careful with the government, for they befriend a person only for their own needs. They appear to be friends when it is beneficial to them, but they do not stand by a person at the time of his distress (2:3)”. The song I chose for this verse is the song “Money, Money, Money” by Abba. I chose this song because it is about a lady that’s poor. She talks about all the things she would do if she married a rich man only for his money, in the song it says. “A man like that is hard to find but I can’t get him off my mind ain’t it sad? And if he happens to be free I bet he wouldn’t fancy me that’s too bad. So I must leave, I’ll have to go to Las Vegas or Monaco, and win a fortune in a game, my life will never be the same. Money, money, money must be funny in the rich man’s world. Money, money, money. Always sunny in the rich man’s world. Aha. All the things I could do if I had a little money, it’s a rich man’s world.” She’s talking about how much she could do if she married a rich man and had money. But she says that she isnt marrying him for love, she’s only marrying him for his money and her own good.

Verse #6

Verse number 6 talks about the consequences of your actions and karma. It talks about how if you drown someone, you will have to pay for your actions and will be drowned yourself. The verse says “He also saw a skull floating upon the water. Said he to it: Because you drowned others, you were drowned; and those who drowned you, will themselves be drowned (2:6)”. This shows the cycle of karma and consequences. The song I chose for this verse is the song “Karma” by Alicia Keys. I chose this song because it is about dumping someone and breaking their heart then asking for them back and getting your own heart broken. In the song it says: “’Cause, (What goes around comes around, what goes up must come down) Now who’s cryin’, desirin’ to come back to me? (What goes around comes around, what goes up must come down) Now who’s cryin, ‘ desirin’ to come back?” The statement “What goes around comes around” is commonly used to tell people about the consequences of their actions and karma. 

Verse #8

Verse number 8 is about G-d being with you everywhere and you have a purpose in the world. This verse says “Rabban Yochanan the son of Zakkai received the tradition from Hillel and Shammai. He would say: If you have learned much Torah, do not take credit for yourself—it is for this that you have been formed (2:8)”. The song I chose for this verse is the song “To Be What You Must” by Cat Stevens. I chose this song because in the song it says: “Be you dust, or be you star. To be what you must. Just reach out for what you are”. Be what you must means to be yourself and be what G-d made you for. You have a purpose and you just need to find it.

Verse #11

Verse number 11 talks about jealousy, the verse says. “Rabbi Joshua would say: An evil eye, the evil inclination, and the hatred of one’s fellows, drive a person from the world (2:11)”. When you are jealous, slowly that jealousy can turn into something worse and you take what you are jealous of. Having so much jealousy could lead to you ultimately hating the world and everything in it. The song I chose for this verse is “Jealous Guy” by John Lennon. I chose this song because in the song it says: I didn’t mean to hurt you, I’m sorry that I made you cry Oh no, I didn’t want to hurt you, I’m just a jealous guy”. This shows that because he was so jealous he ended up hurting someone and this can really show the effect that jealousy has on people. 

Verse #12

Verse number 12 talks about respecting your friends and treating them as you would treat yourself. This verse says: “Rabbi Yossei would say: The property of your fellow should be as precious to you as your own. Perfect yourself for the study of Torah, for it is not an inheritance to you. And all your deeds should be for the sake of Heaven (2:12).” Many people often tell their friends to be respectful and to treat them how they would treat themselves and this verse is saying that same thing. The song I chose for this verse is the song “Lean on Me” by Bill Withers. I chose this song because in the lyrics it says: “Lean on me when you’re not strong and I’ll be your friend. I’ll help you carry on… for it won’t be long. Till I’m gonna need somebody to lean on”. This means that when your friend needs help you will treat them as you would want to be treated when you need help and you will both help each other out.

This link is a link to a spotify playlist containing all my songs: This link

Thank you